Environmental Achievements

Gases and Emissions

Gases and Emissions

Continuous Reduction in Greenhouse Gas Emissions

Greenhouse gases

In response to the ever-more serious issue of global warming, momentum is increasing around the world for realising carbon neutrality that would eliminate all greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050 in order to keep the global temperature increase to within 1.5 ºC of pre-industrial levels. The signing of the 2015 Paris Agreement sparked rising interest in climate change around the world at the national and governmental levels. As a result, stakeholders also have heightened expectations toward the roles companies should play and the initiatives they should invest in regarding climate change. Against this backdrop, in February 2021 the AGC Group set forth its long-term goals for 2050 of aiming to achieve net zero GHG emissions resulting from its business activities and contributing to the realisation of net zero carbon emissions globally by leveraging its products and technologies. Read more

Energy efficiency and CO2 emissions

The bulk of the direct CO2 emissions created by AGC Glass Asia Pacific comes from melting activities. About 70% of the CO2 emissions from the furnaces are energy-related, with the remaining 30% caused by the decomposition of the raw materials. As a result of recycling cullet, we are able to increase energy efficiency and reduce CO2 emissions by decreasing raw material and energy consumption required for melting.
Read more about our glass recycling.

This has resulted in a significant reduction of around 25% in CO2  direct emissions when compared to 2010 levels for Upstream Operations.

The graph illustrates the change in direct CO2 emission over 2010 to 2021. It is observed that total direct CO2 emissions in 2021 is 25% lower compared to 2010.

Breakdown of energy by type in all glass manufacturing plants of AGC Glass Asia Pacific

The majority (78%) of energy used for the melting of raw materials in glass production in 2021 is generated from natural gas. Electrical energy accounts for only a minor share of 22% of the total energy usage in 2021.

Heavy fuel oil usage had been gradually reduced since 2006 and was completely phased out in 2008.